Here are some updates for when we return:
We will resume our vocabulary and grammar routines after spring break and will be back to a typical weekly schedule.
Monday- Grammar and vocabulary introduced in class and assigned
Tuesday- Vocabulary sentences due on Edmodo
Thursday- Vocabulary assignment on Edmodo due, grammar packet due
Friday- Vocabulary and grammar quizzes
This past week, we started our study of Westward Expansion. Our class will be participating in a pilot to help pick a new social studies curriculum. After we finish up the chapter on Westward Expansion, we’ll be starting our pioneers simulation, so students can get a taste of life as a settler during the mid-1800s. Information about challenge projects for this unit will be coming soon!
When we return from spring break, we’ll be diving right into the Illinois Assessment of Readiness. This replaces PARCC testing. Students may not wear smartwatches during the testing, so if your student typically wears one, please encourage him or her to leave it at home on testing days. The schedule for 5th grade testing is as follows:
April 2, April 4, April 5- Math Assessment (9:10-11:10)
April 8, April 9- Reading Assessment (1:15-3:00)
If you’re able to schedule absences around these times, that would be great!
There will be no vlogs due over the week we are off for break.
When we return from break, we’ll be kicking off the 5th grade service project. Stay tuned for details on how to support our efforts to help The Animal House Shelter in Huntley.
Please check with your student to see how their school supplies are holding up. Many students’ math notebooks are used up and many students seem to be out of pencils. Let me know if you need help securing additional school supplies.
Spring is a busy time for 5th grade! Here are some upcoming events to note:
- Reading MAP test- Monday, April 15 (1:15-3:00)
- Math MAP test- Thursday, April 18 (9:15-11:00)
- No School- April 19 and April 22
- Field trip to visit South- Tuesday, April 23 (9:10-10:20)
- World of Work and 5th Grade Luncheon- Friday, April 26
- Bears Mini Clinic- Tuesday, May 7 (1:30-3:00)
- 5th Grade Track Meet (optional for all 5th graders in the district)- Wednesday, May 8 (traditionally this starts around 4:15)
- 6th Grade Orientation at South- Wednesday, May 8 (6:30 pm)
- Robert Crown Life Begins Presentation- Thursday, May 10
- 5th Grade Musical- Wednesday, May 29
- Field Day- Friday, June 7
- Last day of school- Monday, June 10
Have a great week!